St. Peter’s Lutheran Church was organized in 1920 by 17 German-speaking
1921-1922 - Rev. E. A. Rode
The church began in homes. Services were conducted in the German language.
1922-1924 - Rev. E. Duerschner
In 1923, Articles of Incorporation were filed, and the church was built on the
corner of Elk Grove Boulevard and Elk Grove-Florin Road.
1925-1938 - Rev. Fred Meinecke
In 1938, membership consisted of 15 families.
1938-1944 - Rev. Arnold Schultz
During this period, services were held in English for the first time. For
awhile, half of the Sunday worship services continued to be conducted in German.
In 1942, the church mortgage was burned.
1944-1946 - Rev. Leon Gehret
Pastor Gehret was the first resident pastor to actually live in Elk Grove while
serving the church.
1946-1953 - Rev. George Schuster
In 1953, German services were discontinued.
1953-1959 - Rev. Ernest Adams
In 1953 a parsonage was purchased. In 1956, the church property was sold to
Shell Oil and the church building was moved one-half block, next door to the
1959-67 - Rev. E. Luther Kroenk
In 1965, with the help of much volunteer labor, a social hall was built which
also contained classrooms and a kitchen.
1968-1979 - Rev. Robert Weishoff
Shortly after Pastor Weishoff’s arrival in 1968, a second worship service was
added. By 1973, membership had grown to 135 families. In 1974, a new parsonage
was built and women served on the church council for the first time. In 1976,
two parcels were purchased next door to the church property. In 1979, Pastor
Weishoff accepted another call.
1979-2003 Rev. Darrel Deuel, Sr. Pastor
In 1979, Pastor Darrel Deuel accepted our call. From 1979-85, the congregation
helped train seminarians by hosting one intern per year. In 1985, the intern
program was discontinued when the congregation added their first associate
pastor. In 1981, under the direction of Pastor Deuel, the Bethel Bible Series
began. The church grew, and the congregation decided to build a new facility. In
1984, ten acres were purchased north of Elk Grove.
1985-1986 - Rev. Todd Mattson
In 1985, Pastor Todd Mattson accepted our call and served one year. He wrote and
installed a folk service before leaving to accept another call.
||1987-1994 - Rev. Daniel Selbo
In 1987, Pastor Daniel Selbo accepted the call as associate pastor. That same
year a fellowship hall was built on the new site, and St. Peter’s moved. In
1990, a new sanctuary was built, and plans were finalized to build an
administrative building and educational facility. In 1991, Steve Lundblom was
added as youth director. In 1992, Ann Cunningham was added as administrator for
St. Peter’s Lutheran School, and the school opened its doors in August 1993.
1994-1995 - Rev. Richard Eddy & Rev. Arnold Vocke
In 1994 the intern program was reinstated. Richard Eddy joined us in that
capacity, and Pastor Arnold Vocke served one year as the visitation pastor. In
1995, Richard Eddy was ordained at St. Peter’s and installed as associate
pastor; Neoma Yount was installed as business administrator; and the last phase
of the school was completed.
1996-1999 - Rev. Joel Midthun
In May 1996, Pastor Joel Midthun was called and added to the pastoral staff as
associate pastor. On Easter Sunday, April 1999, St. Peter’s started its Mission
Church, Living Water, and Pastor Midthun accepted a call to that church.
Approximately 100 members of St. Peter’s transferred their membership to Living
Water as a core group to help establish the mission church.
June 1999-Present - Rev. Robert Salge
Pastor Robert H. Salge accepted a call to fill the vacancy left by Pastor
Midthun and began his ministry at St. Peter’s on October 1, 1999.
Youth Director Steve Lundblom, was installed as a Licensed Lay Pastor, and led
the contemporary worship service on Sunday evenings. He left in the summer
of 2001 to earn a Master in Divinity degree in Seattle, Washington.
November 2001-March 2006
Len Brokenshire became the new Youth Director when Steve Lundblom left to
continue seminary studies. Len was immediately licensed as a lay pastor.
After almost 24 years as Senior Pastor, Darrel Deuel left to become the
full-time Executive Director of The Sending Place, a mission organization which
he began. The congregation called Richard Eddy to become the new Senior Pastor.
Steve Lundblom returned as he answered a call to be an associate pastor.
He was later ordained in June 2005.
Len Brokenshire was called by St. Peter's to be ordained as Associate Pastor for
Youth Ministries on July 11, 2004. In March 2006 he accepted another call
**Currently, membership stands at approximately 1,300 members -
approximately 550 families.